1. Active memberships shall be open to:
a. women who currently hold or who have retired from full-time or part-time academic appointments at the University of Alberta;
b. women who are full- or part-time graduate students at the University of Alberta;
2. Associate memberships shall be open to:
a. women who currently hold or have retired from academic appointments in other Alberta universities;
b. women in academically-related positions who are interested in and share the objectives of the Association.
c. women who are full- or part-time graduate students in other Alberta universities.
3. Honorary memberships shall be extended upon the discretion of the Executive to persons who are deemed to have made outstanding contributions in forwarding the goals of the Association.
4. Active members only shall have voting privileges.
5. Active members shall pay a differential fee based on the membership categories in section 1 of the Bylaws to be determined by the Executive each year. Associate members shall pay a differential fee.
6. Membership shall run from September to September each year.
7. Conditions for the withdrawal of members:
a. Members may withdraw from membership by filing written notice to the Executive through the Membership Chair.
b. A member may be expelled from membership by the Executive by a simple majority of the Executive present and voting at the regular or special meetings of the Executive, for any reason which they deem necessary and proper. Notification of expulsion must be given within three days by double registered mail.
8. A minimum of one general meeting per year shall be held. Notices of meetings shall be sent to the membership two weeks before each scheduled meeting. A special meeting may be called on the instructions of any two members provided that they request the President in writing to call such meeting, and state the business to be brought before the meeting.
9. Meeting locations shall be determined by the Executive.
10. The annual general meeting shall take place in April each year.
11. A minimum of four executive meetings shall be held each year. Meetings of the Executive may be called at any time by the President.
12. Fifty-one percent of active members present shall constitute a quorum for decisions at a regular or special meeting.
13. Three members of the Executive shall constitute a quorum for Executive decisions at a regular or special meeting of the Executive.
14. In the case of a tie vote, the President shall cast the deciding vote.
15. The Association shall maintain two computerized mailing lists: the first, a list of its current members, and the second, as complete as possible a list of all women on the University of Alberta campus who are eligible for membership. The first mailing list will be used only to communicate with members about AWA activities.
16. The Executive of the Association shall be elected at the annual general meeting of the Association and shall consist of:
b. Past President
c. President-Elect/Vice President
f. Newsletter Editor
g. Web Manager
h. Membership Chair
i. Two Members-at-Large (at least one must be a graduate student)
j. Daycare Liaison
17. The President, Past-President, and President-Elect/Vice- President shall serve for a term of one year. Other Executive officers shall normally be elected for a term of two years, and may be re-elected to the same office to a maximum of two consecutive terms.
18. Unless authorized at any meeting and after notice of the same shall have been given, no member of the Executive shall receive remuneration for her services.
19. For the election of officers the Executive of the Association shall appoint a Nomination Committee of three persons, one of whom normally shall be the immediate Past-President of the Association. The other two members shall be drawn from the active membership. The President shall be a member of the Nomination Committee ex officio.
20. The Nomination Committee shall propose a slate of officers including a President, President-Elect/Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Newsletter Editor, Web Manager, Membership Chair, Daycare Liaison and two Members at Large. The proposed executive slate shall be active members of the association prior to election.
21. The Nomination Committee shall present its report to a meeting of the Executive at least two weeks prior to the annual general meeting. The report shall be presented at the annual general meeting of the Association.
22. Nominations will also be accepted from the floor at the time of the Annual General Meeting.
23. The Executive may fill any vacancy on the Executive by the appointment of a new member for the unexpired term.
24. For the purpose of carrying out its objects, the Association may borrow or raise or secure the payment of money in such manner as it thinks fit, and in particular by the issue of debentures, but this power shall be exercised only under the authority of the Association, and in no case shall debentures be issued without the sanction of an extraordinary resolution of the Association.
25. The books, accounts and records of the Secretary and Treasurer shall be audited at least once each year by two members of the society. A complete and proper statement of the standing of the books for the previous year shall be submitted by such auditor at the annual meeting of the Association.
26. The books and records of the Association may be inspected by any member of the society at the annual meeting or at any time upon giving reasonable notice and arranging a time satisfactory to the officer or officers having charge of same. Each member of the Executive shall at all times have access to such books and records. (Deposit of files in University Archives; access through President.)
27. The officers of the Executive have custody of and may use and give permission to use the name, letterhead and stationery, and any such logo or seal of the Association as is hereafter adopted.
28. The bylaws may be rescinded, altered or added to by an “Extraordinary Resolution” passed by a majority of not less than three-fourths of active members present in person or by proxy at a general meeting of which one month’s written notice specifying the intention to propose the resolution as an extraordinary resolution has been duly given.
29. The President has custody of the minutes of the proceedings of the meetings of the Association and of the Executive, past and present.
30. The Secretary shall prepare the minutes of the proceedings of the meetings of the Association and of the Executive and arrange for their appropriate distribution. She shall prepare such letters and communications as requested by the Executive for the Association and send copies to the President for the records.
31. The Treasurer shall receive all monies paid to the Association and shall be responsible for the deposit of same in whatever bank the Executive may order. She shall keep proper accounts for the funds and such books as may be directed. She shall present a full detailed account of receipts and disbursements to the Executive whenever requested and shall prepare for submission to the annual meeting a statement duly audited of the financial position of the association and submit a copy of same for the records.
32. The records of the Association shall be deposited following the term of each President, in the University of Alberta Archives.